The Register

Tuesday, May 14, 2019

A good Linux distribution for older computers?

Afriend asked me for a recommendation about a good Linux distribution. What he wrote was this:

".at home I'm a total Apple head. I have an old Toshiba laptop that I loaded Ubuntu on but its too old to keep up anymore. I also have a desktop HP that I bought about 7 years ago and recently Microsoft has decided to lock up Windows 10 for some reason. I'm done with them. How can I get a book disk that will load up Ubuntu as the OS and go from there? A related question would be: Do I need to have a hardwire keyboard and mouse to get this to work? Since wireless bluetooth stuff probably won't work unless there's associated drivers I'm speculating I need to get some basic USB gear. Thoughts?"

My reply:
I have Lubuntu 18.04 running on an older  Intel Core2 w/ 2 Gb RAM. It has wifi and ethernet drivers, pretty good graphics, and runs Ubuntu "lite" (Lubuntu). It just works. Bluetooth drivers are already on Lubunu and most Linux distros. I check out Distrowatch.com for the latest and greatest. Your choices are almost endless, for a small footprint, try Puppy and Damn Small Linux. I used PCLinuxOS for a while, I like the control panel they have. Download the ISO and burn it to a USB stick with YUMI, LiLi USB Creator, or WinToUSB. You can try them as a "Live" enviroment without installing and see if  you like the interface. If you  have any questions, feel  free to IM me. Peace.

3 comments:

Nancy Angel said...

How to activate prime video? Most of the people think about that how to register prime video and what are the step plus factor about the price. So I suggest that prime video is a part of amazon prime and if you have an account of amazon prime that same account you can use for prime video. Visit - primevideo.com/mytv

Pharma online said...


Buy ambien online quick delivery.Buy Ambien Online, Sleeping Disorders treatment.
Ambien USA Pharmacy at Your administration! Purchase Ambien online with US-US conveyance and expedited service. Zolpidem online accessible.
OrderAmbien Online is a tranquilizer that advances sound rest for the duration of the evening.

James Watson said...

Thanks for sharing this great blog.
www.amazon.com/mytv.
amazon.com/mytv
www.amazon.com/mytv code
www.amazon.com/code

Computer gigs in SF bay area

Tech Jobs in Los Angeles, CA

Tech Jobs in San Jose, CA

Top 10 Articles